Ageing Practice - Implications for Healthcare Professionals and Patient Safety Conference
Wednesday 15 October 2014 - Register here
This national conference, organised by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges aims to explore the problems associated with increasing the retirement age for healthcare professionals; explore possible solutions and develop an action plan to present to National Governments.
The conference is relevant to medical practitioners; all healthcare staff; commissioning groups and employers who will all need solutions for the risks associated with age related medical conditions and cognitive decline.
The Flexible Careers Committee believes that everyone is entitled to a good work-life balance.
The Committee intends to achieve this by:
- Supporting flexible training and LTFT working
- Supporting flexible retirement
- Encouraging personal career development
- Establishing the portfolio career concept
- Promoting professional values in all doctors and dentists
- Lobbying working issues via the Medical Royal Colleges
The Flexible Careers Committee believes this will help identify and overcome barriers that doctors and dentists may encounter in flexible working.
Terms of Reference
- To provide strategic leadership for the Improving Working Lives agenda in relation to all doctors and dentists. This includes the whole spectrum of the workforce from trainees through to retirement and in primary, secondary, community and tertiary care.
- To provide a forum for discussion and dissemination of good practice through conferences, workshops etc.
- To promote and raise awareness of IWL for doctors and dentists through the Medical Royal Colleges and other professional medical and dental organisations
- To produce periodic reports and/or statements via the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges
- To communicate and disseminate IWL issues across the United Kingdom.
- Representative from each Medical and Dental Royal College and Faculty
- Representation from England and the devolved Countries
- Representatives from BMA , BDA, DoH and NHS Employers
- COPMeD, COGPED and COPDEND representatives
- Representative from GMC
- Representative from AOMRC.
Frequency of Meetings
- The Committee will meet three times a year
- A quorum of at least 7 members to be present is needed
- Travelling expenses will be claimed by members from their own organisations.