Academy Specialty Training Committee
Chaired by: Dr Simon Newell
The Academy Specialty Training Committee (ASTC) coordinates, facilitates and develops generic work of the Royal Colleges and Faculties with regards to postgraduate medical specialty training, including general practice. It works in conjunction with other relevant bodies relating to postgraduate medical specialty and general practice training.
The Committee consists of representatives from:
- One representative from each Royal College and Faculty represented on the Academy and also the JCST and JRCPTB
- AoMRC Education Lead
- Academy Trainee Doctors’ Group
- Academy Patient/Lay Group
- NACT UK
- Medical Education England
- Medical Programme Board
- Centre for Workforce Intelligence
The ASTC leads a number of different working group developing frameworks and curricula where there is commonality between the different specialties. Recent reports have included: the EHealth Competency Framework - Defining the Role of the Expert Clinician (2011) and Common Competences Framework for Doctors (2009).
The current work streams include:
- Development of a broad based programme for the two first years post foundation in General Practice, Paediatrics and Child Health, Psychiatry and the related physician specialties.
- Development of a transferable competences framework
- Development of an academic eportfolio.