To be the independent voice promoting medical royal college standards through leadership and collaboration, to improve the health of the people of Wales.
Leading and rolling out Choosing Wisely in Wales
Choosing Wisely is an international campaign designed to encourage clinicians and patients to engage in conversations about making wise treatment decisions. In Wales it is being led by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges Wales in partnership with Public Health Wales and the Board of community Health councils.
It is a clinician-led campaign that will enable clinicians and patients to choose care that avoids unnecessary tests, treatments and procedures.
Choosing Wisely Wales recognises the importance of educating and engaging patients so that they can make shared decisions about their care.
The aims of the campaign are:
- To introduce and embed a broad culture change in healthcare where clinicians and patients regularly discuss the value of treatments
- To spread the work of the campaign amongst the wider general public
- To reduce harm to patients by use of inappropriate tests or interventions.
Follow us on Twitter @ChoosingWiselyWales
Contributing to improved medical workforce and training strategy
Improving the training experience of trainee doctors in Wales
Improving the primary and secondary care interface
Multi-specialty professional leadership
- Responding to national actions, guidance and events on the role of doctors as clinicians and leaders
- Professional conversations – a series of leaflets on issues relating to doctors in Wales
- Regular CMO meetings
- Representatives on national bodies.